Sunday, January 4, 2009

They are not HITTING they are High-Fiving

Best Buds

Henry and Jacob really are high-fiving in this picture...they are very smart you know. Jodi and I had some informal discussions on the whole "hitting" subject and I just want to put out there that I think that "hitting" is for the most part not hurting at this age. Now, I am not an gigantical expert on the subject of toddler hitting, but I am a preschool teacher and I have been observing the behavior closely. What I mean by my statement is I do not think that when a toddler hits they are doing so to be mean. Lots of people may easily agree with me, but when it comes to their own child hitting or being hit--in the moment--lets be honest we tend to over-react if not on the outside then on the inside. This is just a forming conclusion and I am going to think about it and observe it more, but I also do not think that kids ONLY learn hitting from other kids, right...the chicken before the egg thing. I am not advocating that we just let kids pound each other, but I am chewing on this a little. Those are my jubbled thoughts as I go back to my 16 2-year-olds tomorrow!
Oh and Henry misses you terribly Jacob...he was hugging your picture this morning.

No comments: