Sunday, May 2, 2010

Big Brother





Dear Henry,

You do not know this but your whole world is about ready to be turned upside-down. I wanted to let you know how special you are and that you are loved intrinsically by your dad and I. Which means we love you not for what you do or do not do, but just for you.

You have brought so much into our lives for the past 2 and a half years. You are so funny. You love people, especially your family. We left Grammy's today and you were yelling out the window that you love her. And then you whined all the way home to be with Grammy. Or its Yach and Yane. You like to wrestle and cuddle and rub our ear when you drink your juice or your two chocolate milks. You are stubborn. You like things to be a certain way and you have to do EVERYTHING by yourself right now, including getting OUT of your highchair and getting INTO the bath tub--which of course makes me bonkers. You love to laugh and make us laugh. You shhh me when I sing. You barely make it to your potty because you are so busy watching Dinosaur Train or playing with the Toy Story Gang.

You have us all to yourself right now and it is gut wrenching to wonder what is going to go through your head as we bring your baby brother into this world. We know that you will love him and be gentle with him. I know that as you both grow you will be buddies and hate us and love us together. I guess it is always going to be my worry that you both feel fully loved by your parents separate and together.

And more than I can love you and your dad and all your family combines can love you it will not even come close to how much Jesus loves you. I pray you really know Him and in turn really know yourself. You are on the grand journey and we are your caretakers in this part. We will do our best, but I am sure we will disappoint you now and then. I hope you live life to the fullest and experience the joys and sorrows that accompany the privilege of being alive. You were made for this life and I love that I get to be the mom of you Henry Ethan Gelbrich.

I love you Henry Boy.

4 comments:

Katauras said...

Quit making me cry. Seriously.

I wondered how things would be with Melia. I worried that since she was an "only" for 8.5 years (that's an eternity for a child!), that when Maya came she would feel awkward or like she didn't know where she fit in. But she has made having another child more of a blessing than I could have known. Her love for Maya makes me love her that much more. The way Maya only laughs really good and hard at Melia, it makes Maya that much more a part of "us". I know you know this in your heart, but just to say it, your family will be even more brillant than you knew possible. God will make all things clear and feel right when Will comes home.

What a beautiful blog sister. I love you all and miss you.

Unknown said...

Love it, Jenny! You made me cry, too!
You are a great mommy! I love reading your stories and all about your journey!

Keep them coming! :-)

Lydia Henry said...

It is so hard to response with tears in my eyes.

Little Jen, you make me so proud of how you see the world and your family. What a beautiful tribute to Henry. He will be a wonderful Big Brother just like Liz was a wonderful Big Sister. There is adjustments and a wondering of where we fit in our family. It always works out. Even though you were the baby of the family and loved that position Tricia and Tara couldn't have asked for a better sister than you and Liz. You had more to lose than Liz because you were the baby and they took your spotlight.

You loved them even though it was 9 years between you and Tricia and ten with Tara. I thank you for that love you had for them. You once told me that you thought you weren't going to like that they took that away from you but in the same breath told me that you couldn't imagine our family without them. I thank you for that.

On this day, your birthday, I just want to tell you how much I love you and how proud I am to be your mom.

Henry will always know he is loved!

Mom

Kristi said...

That was very sweet Jenny Henry! I loved it. I also love the wild things pjs that he is wearing in one picture! ;-)